London Fire Fighters Credit Union
Accessibility Standard for Customer Service
Providing Goods and Services to People with Disabilities
1. Our Accessibility Mission
London Fire Fighters Credit Union Ltd is committed to excellence in serving all members including people with disabilities.
2. Our Commitment
In fulfilling our accessibility mission, the LFFCU is committed to providing its goods and services in a way that respects the dignity and independence of members with disabilities. We are also committed to giving members with disabilities the same opportunity to access our goods and services and allowing them to benefit from the same services, in the same place and in a similar way as other members.
3. Providing Goods and Services to People with Disabilities
The London Fire Fighters Credit Union is committed to excellence in serving all members including people with disabilities and we will carry out our functions and responsibilities in the following areas:
a. Assistive Devices
We are committed to serving people with disabilities who use assistive devices to obtain, use or benefit from our goods and services. We will ensure that our staff, volunteers and third parties are trained and familiar with various assistive devices that may be used by members with disabilities while accessing our goods or services.
We will communicate with people with disabilities in ways that take into account their disability.
We will train staff who communicate with members on how to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities.
c. Telephone Services
We are committed to providing fully accessibly telephone service to our members. We will train staff to communicate with members over the telephone in clear and plain language and to speak clearly and slowly.
We will offer to communicate with members by e-mail or written letter if telephone communication is not suitable to their communication needs or is not available.
We are committed to providing accessible statements to all of our members. For this reason, statements will be provided in the following formats upon request: hard copy, large print, emailed.
We will answer any questions members may have about the content of their statements in person, by telephone or e-mail.
We are committed to providing accessible literature to all our members. For this reason, when possible literature will be provided in the following formats upon request: Large print, e-mailed.
Documents will, when possible, be provided in the accessibility format requested by the member. Members' requests for documents in an accessible format will be provided immediately if possible; however, some documents may require more effort and will be provided within a reasonable time frame.
4. Use of Service Animals and Support Persons:
We are committed to welcoming people with disabilities who are accompanied by their service animals. Service animals are allowed on the parts of our premises that are open to the public and other third parties. We will also ensure that all staff, volunteers and others dealing with the public are properly trained in how to interact with people with disabilities who are accompanied by a service animal.
Service Animal Procedures:
- Always speak to the person the animal is assisting and acknowledge their presence
- Never touch a service animal without the permission of the person it is assisting
We are committed to welcoming people with disabilities who are accompanied by a support person. Any person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person will be allowed to enter the London Fire Fighters Credit Union's premises with his or her support person. At not time will a person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person be prevented from having access to his or her support person while on our premises.
Fees will not be charged for support persons.
Support Person Procedures:
- Ask the member for permission for the support person to be present when discussing the member's person financial information.
- Employees may request the member to sign a Support Persons Authorization Agreement prior to discussing the member's personal financial information.
5. Notice of Temporary Disruption
In the event of a planned or unexpected disruption to services or facilities for members with disabilities (office closed, technology disruption) London Fire Fighters Credit Union will notify members promptly. This clearly posted notice will include information about the reason for the disruption, its anticipated length of time, and a description of alternative facilities or services, if available.
The notice will be placed at the public entrance of 400 Horton Street East and outside the credit union office on the second floor. We will also notify members through a notice posted on our web site - www.lffcu.ca.
6. Training for Staff
The London Fire Fighters Credit Union will provide training to employees, volunteers and others who deal with the public or other third parties on their behalf, and all those who are involved in the development and approval of customer service policies, practices and procedures.
Individuals in the following positions will be trained: CEO, Board Members, and Committee Members.
This training will be provided within 14 days after an employee commences their duties.
Training will include the following:
- The purpose of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the requirements of the customer service standard
- London Fire Fighters Credit Union's plan and procedures related to the customer service standard
- How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities
- How to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person
- How to use any assistive devices, on-site or otherwise that may help with providing goods or services to people with disabilities.
- What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty in accessing LFFCU's goods and services.
Staff will be trained on policies and procedures that affect the way goods and services are provided to people with disabilities. Staff will also be trained when changes are made to these policies and/or procedures.
Various Forms of Training:
- Employees, volunteers and third parties will complete the AODA on-line training courses and final test offered through CuSource
- Annual Review and acknowledgement of the Customer Service Policy (AODA) will be completed by each employee
- All updates to policy and/or procedures will be communicated to all employees, volunteers and third parties
7. Feedback Process
The ultimate goal of the London Fire Fighters Credit Union Limited is to meet and surpass member's expectations while serving members with disabilities. Comments on our services regarding how well those expectations are being met are welcomed and appreciated.
Members who wish to provide feedback on the way LFFCU provides goods and services to people with disabilities can provide feedback by email, verbally or by written letter. All feedback will be directed to Charmaine Spiegelberg, CEO. Members can expect to hear back within 5 business days. (Feedback Forms are available below.)
A record of the Customer Feedback Form will be kept on file by the CEO.
Complaints will be addressed according to our organization's regular complaint management procedures.
8. Modifications to This or Other Policies
We are committed to developing customer service policies that respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities. Therefore, no changes will be made to this policy before considering the impact on people with disabilities.
Any policy of the London Fire Fighters Credit Union that does not respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities will be modified or removed.
9. Questions about this Policy
This policy exists to achieve service excellence to members with disabilities. If anyone has a question about the policy, or if the purpose of the policy is not understood, an explanation will be provided by the CEO of the London Fire Fighters Credit Union Limited.